Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was diagnosed in 2016 with IPF after having Pneumonia. I

Customer Question

I was diagnosed in 2016 with IPF after having Pneumonia. I was later told I had PF, not IPF, and chronic asthma. I have now been told I have Alveolitis. I am extremely breathless and do not know if it is caused by the Asthma or Alveolitis.. I have been trying to contact my consultant but have found this to be impossible probably due to the Covid Pandemic. Can you advise me?
JA: How long have you had IPF? Do you have a cough, fever, or shortness of breath?
Customer: Had IPF since 2017 and have a cough and shortness of breath but no fever.
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Where are you located? How widespread is COVID-19 in your area?
Customer: I am in Arbroath. There is little or no covid in the area.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am overweight (2 stone 7ibl) but have found it difficult to lose weight as I was on steroids
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
IPF progression can cause extreme weakness.

However, if you can hear lot of wheezing, asthma can be a cause as well.

If you are not improving with asthma medications, it is time for you to get clinical exam.

Infection also a possibility.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This more or less corresponds to what I have already heard. Many thanks for you help.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

welcome