Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I am a singer experiencing increased phlegm when I begin to

I am a singer experiencing increased phlegm when I begin to sing. This is obstructing my singing. I am not sure how concerned I should be, or what the best course of action is. I would like to ask someone who is qualified in Ear Nose and Throat or similar.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: No medication. Symptoms are need to clear throat frequently. Feeling small lump in throat. Need to clear throat frequently when singing.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the lump?
Customer: No. It's not a lump I can touch, if just feels like there is a small bit of obstruction in my throat.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello. I'm The Good Dr., licensed and practicing physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Can I ask your age?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello Good Dr. Nice to meet you. What do you think of my question?

I wanted to know your age

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 33 years old, non smoker generally healthy, exercise several times per week.

Usually this is due to acid reflux or sinus drainage from allergies

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Regarding my voice, I may have strained it slightly when recording a song a few months back. I noticed the increased phlegm after that. I am wondering if resting the voice is the best option, or if I will do any damage by continuing to sing (risks etc.)

I would talk to your doctor about trying meds

this is very hard to diagnose without trying treatment.

Usually we try antihistamines like zyrtec for a couple weeks

and acid meds like prilosec for a couple weeks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. Is there a normal time period for healing of vocal cords if damaged?

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great, thank you
  1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. Are you having any stridor or noisy breathing during inspiration or expiration?

3. Is there any difficulty in swallowing?

4. Are you experiencing any pooling of saliva at the back of the throat?

5. Have you undergone any procedures like endoscopy or laryngoscopy?

6. Are you experiencing a feeling of something stuck in the throat while swallowing and breathing?

7. Do these symptoms get aggravated during stress and anxiety please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
1. 33 male
2. A very slight wheeze in upper chest if I breathe deeply
3. No difficulty swallowing
4. Not sure, possibly
5. No.
6. No
7. No

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that what you are experiencing may be two possibilities-

1. Globus sensation.

2. Laryngopharngeal reflux or silent reflux

I will explain further please.

Globus sensation:

Globus sensation is a functional esophageal disorder characterized by a sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat. Globus sensation is a functional esophageal disorder characterized by a sensation of a lump, retained food bolus, or tightness in the throat that is not due to an underlying structural lesion, gastroesophageal reflux disease, mucosal abnormality, or an esophageal motility disorder

A sensation of a lump or foreign body in the throat is common in the general population.

You may need an endoscopy and laryngoscopy and once these are normal - I am sorry to say that we need to attribute this to psychosomatic symptomatology or stress and anxiety.

Regarding management -

The main stay would be - Counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy.

Other options are -

1. Physiotherapy for the muscles around the throat.
  2. Treatment for postnasal drip - for example, treatment with a nasal spray.
  3. Treatment for acid reflux, including antacid medicines and acid-suppressing medicines.
  4. Stopping smoking.
  5. Treatment for stress, if this is a problem.

Laryngopharyngeal reflux:

Laryngopharyngeal reflux or silent reflux is a common cause of symptoms in the throat like lump in the throat, excessive throat clearing, hoarseness, feeling of post nasal drip without any symptoms of heartburn.

This should be tackled by certain lifestyle modifications, habit changes and also medications.

I suggest -

1. Head end of the bed elevation.
  2. Do not skip breakfast.
  3. Rather than two or three heavy meals, take small aliquots of four to five meals a day.
  4. Avoid eating 3 hours before going to bed.
  5. Avoid certain foods which can increase the the reflux like whole milk, dairy products, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, hot tomato sauces, onions, spicy food, citrus fruits, grapefruits and peppermint.
  6. If you are already on - you can take proton pump inhibitors 30 minutes before food, preferably on empty stomach in the morning or before dinner.
  7. Stop medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including Motrin, Advil and also vitamin C.
  8. Do not don tight stomach compressing clothing.
  9. Home therapy - you can do one tablespoon of of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water, gargling several times a day

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Dr.Sumanth,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for this very thorough answer. I didn't realise that one can have acid reflux without feelings of heartburn. I will try these potential remedies and discuss with my doctor. Best regards,