Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Arun phophalia

Hi dr. Arun phophalia

How may I help you, please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi the past 6 weeks I’ve been having bottom eye lid twitch on both eyes but not at the same time.... and today my shoulder blade hurts and sometimes my index finger twitches too.... I’m 33 male... I take zinc multivitamin and omega 3 and vitamin d... not sure why this is happening but it’s very annoying

Twitching can be due to anxiety or benign fasciculation. Shoulder blader pain can be due to myofascial trigger points or pinched nerves in the neck which may cause twitching also.

Please do not Google search your symptoms which can cause unnecessary anxiety leading to a diagnosis like multiple sclerosis or ALS.

Please read this authentic article and under the heading:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4192433/

Fasciculations in healthy subjects

It says;

Fasciculations can also be found in individuals with no neurological disease. Reed and Kurland warned that the presence of fasciculations was not necessarily a prelude to the onset of progressive and lethal disease, due to the involvement of the lower motor neuron (ALS).

These authors, in agreement with others, concluded that physical exercise, stress, fatigue, and caffeine abuse can precipitate or aggravate this picture.

Muscle fasciculation or muscle twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in the distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually, they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations;

1) electromyography (EMG)

2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc

4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests

5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile

The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and the majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients/minerals

6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon

Please feel free for your follow-up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi there thank you yes I’ve been Googling and it shows up MS but if I sneeze also for example my eye will twitch again... shall I take anything to help? I’ve been doctors and he said nothing to worry about but it’s been 6 weeks very frustrating

You are very welcome.

You may do the following;

Deep breathing exercises

Pedialyte/Gatorade

Group sporting exercises.

Bening fasciculation syndrome happens without any reason and may persist due to anxiety.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Could this not be ALS?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just worried as it’s been 6 weeks and doctor not doing anything thanks

ALS even for neurologists may take 2-3 months and a battery of investigations to diagnose.

So one has to believe in the doctors and not Google.

ALS is considered only if there is significant muscle weakness.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I see thank you for that I appreciate it... 1 last thing sorry would taking vitamin d and magnesium with calcium be ok

You are very welcome.

Yes, you can take calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi sorry 1 last thing thank you I have like lumpy bottom of eye like inside the skin is that veins?

It is likely to be a vein.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks because it moves around under the eye

A vein may move.

A tiny skin gland cyst is another possibility. No treatment is needed though.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok so it can’t be the reason why my eye twitches

No, it is not.