Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have had a recurring UTI for the last 3 month (this will

Hello, I have had a recurring UTI for the last 3 month (this will be my 4th or 5th attack) It is back with a vengeance this morning. Can you help. Julie Mills
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the UTI?
Customer: Cant get my GP today. Antibiotics have got rid of it. But my last attack finished only 2 weeks ago. Feel fluey, shaky, cloudy urine and very stingy to urinate and even when not urinating
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you used anything besides the antibiotics for this?
Customer: Just taken this morning 2 paracetamol and a sachet of canestan cystitus relief but it usually doesnt have any impact when the stinging is this strong this quickly
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: NO. I have no other health issues (I am aged 60)
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello... I understand your concern.
I need some more information please.
1. May I know your gender please?
2. How long have you had this symptom?
3. Is it like - you have the urge to urinate, but, when you go to urinate - very little comes out and you still have the urge to urinate?
4. Are you running any temperature?
5. Is there any blood in the the urine?
6. Is there any personal or family history of renal stones please?
7. Have you undergone any procedure in the pelvis in the recent past and if so when?
8. Are you a diabetic or hypertensive?
9. Is the pain always consistent with urination please?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Female.
On and off for 3 months
Little comes out but still have the urge
Dont think I have a temperature
no blood in urine
no family history of renal stones
No recent pelvic surgery (hysterectomy 22 years ago)
Not diabetic or hypertensive
pain is always with urination before and after too for a short while
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My GP took a urine sample last time ( 3rd Feb 21) I havent had the results

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information. From your symptoms analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you, I feel that, the possibilities are -

1. Interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome (BPS)

2. Viral hemorrhagic cystitis.

3. Over active bladder.

In this order of preference.

Will explain the most probable possibility of interstitial cystitis here so that you can be well informed before your consultation.

Bladder pain syndrome is one of the conditions that cause people to have bladder pain and urinate often. Bladder pain syndrome is often called "BPS" for short. It is also sometimes called "painful bladder syndrome" or "interstitial cystitis."

BPS can happen in men or women, but it is more common in women. We do not know what causes BPS, but some suspect it might be caused by abnormal changes in the lining of the bladder. Sometimes, BPS happens on its own. Other times, it starts after a person has:

●An infection of the urinary tract, vagina, or prostate

●Surgery on the bladder, pelvis, or back

●An injury to the pelvic area or buttocks

Symptoms include - Feeling like you need to urinate often during the day and night (even if you don't actually urinate), urinating often during the day and night, having pain in the lower belly or around the area where urine leaves the body.

There is no one test to check for BPS. But if you have BPS symptoms, your doctor will talk with you, might do an exam, and will probably do a urine test. Depending on the results, your doctor might do other tests, too.

For example, some people have a test called "cystoscopy." During cystoscopy, a doctor puts a thin tube with a tiny camera on the end into the opening in the body where urine comes out. Then the tube is advanced until it reaches the bladder. That way the doctor can look at the inside of the bladder to see if it is abnormal.

Treatment options include - Bladder training, physical therapy, medicines and surgery.

1) Conservative - avoidance of caffeine, avoidance of constipation, performing kegel exercises daily for one month

2) Medication - Myrbetriq or Oxybutinin. These are prescription medications please.

3) Surgical options include - having Botox, Sacral Neuromodulation or PTNS procedures by any urologist.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your PCP or urologist and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

This is not a bacterial urinary tract infection and we need to seriously consider interstitial cystitis here.