Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have been taking avamys spray for chic Eustachian tube

I have been taking avamys spray for chic Eustachian tube infection
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Sorry my phone wasn’t typing correctly. I have been taking avamys spray on and off since last summer for my Eustachian tube. Recently I have started to take it every day for the past month. Last week I started to develop symptoms of gingivitis - notices sore gums when I brushed my teeth do I started to take extra care brushing and used interdental sticks. There was a lot of blood so I rinsed and gargled with a salt rinse solution. The next morning I had a nosebleed and bloody - watery discharge from my nose. I stopped the avamys spray (doctor told me to stop for 1-2 weeks). Since then (7 days now) the back of my nose is very sore (no more blood just very small amounts of clear watery droplets). But I have developed Hyperosmia - any smell is too strong for me (even neutral products like washing up liquid and dettol wipes). I am ok with food. Myspoke to my doctor on Friday and sorry not finished.
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: My doctor on Friday prescribed me Doxycycline - 2 pills and then 1 pill for 7 days. The only symptom I have is sore gums still (interdental sticks not very bloody anymore) and this acute sensitivity to smell. I am reluctant to take the antibiotics because I have a very sensitive stomach. Can I wait to see if the symptoms improve and my body heals? Would a baby nasal saline spray be a good alternative solution?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have rosacea and suffered from sciatica for the past 6 weeks and have been unable to sit down because of pelvic pain.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When I say I am ok with food I mean eating food.

Can you upload an image of the throat?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had to put my dog down on Thursday evening which was obviously an emotional thing to do which would have disrupted my healing process.

I am extremely sorry for that.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
in a way my nose has mon-weds to heal and then fri-sun to heal.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can try

I am waiting.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (Q1MQ7LL)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don’t know if this is good enough
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My gums do still bleed in certain places when I brush my teeth.

Please hold on.

1. Since how long have you had this?

2. Is it associated with high grade fever or body pains or severe cough/ fatigue/ muscle weakness/ diarrhea/ loss of sense of smell and taste?

3. Is there any contact with anybody with streptococcal pharyngitis or COVID19?

4. Is the pain in the throat predominant symptom or cough?

5. Are you having any lymph node swellings in the neck region?

6. Is there any swallowing difficulty?

7. Did any of your contacts got diagnosed recently with streptococcal pharyngitis?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry - are you still there?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just got your list of questions. Will answer now...

Okay - I am here.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1. One week
2. No - just heightened sense of smell
3. No
4. No pain in throat
5. No
6. No
7. No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Recently thought I had burnt my mouth. Saw dentist (3 weeks ago) was told nothing wrong. Since then developed sore gums and bleeding.

I am typing.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The main issue is the back of my nose is very sore and my lack of tolerance to any smell along with the sore gums
Thank you for the information and the image for my better understanding.To answer your question directly, you can give another one week two weeks for it to improve because you have been on regular medication for long and any drug holiday can cause some rebound symptoms which will gradually get better with time.As of now I suggest -
1. Tablet Claritin one tablet once daily for 3 days.
2. Saline nasal drops one drop in each nostril every sixth hourly or as and when required.
3. There is pain or discomfort or fever you can take Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times a day after food or on as and when required basis.
4. Warm salt water gargling 3 or 4 times a day, 30 minutes before food for a couple of days.There is nothing to worry about anything serious going on please.Regarding oral ulcers it could be stress related aphthous ulcer occurrence.The possibility which I could think of is multivitamin deficiency, but unlikely due to absence of recurrence.I suggest -
1. Benzalkonium chloride gel as topical application whenever there are sores.
2. Multivitamin supplements.
3.You can try this too - Bonjela gel.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjEga3GhrHpAhU_yDgGHYeoCI4QFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.in%2FBonjela-Adult-Ulcer-Sugar-Free%2Fdp%2FB000KU5334&usg=AOvVaw0A134yxm5HA2hFUBMFAlzFBut I can assure you that I have ruled out serious systemic diseases please.I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Salt water does upset my stomach - I don’t swallow but somehow it upsets me. Can I do 1/4 teaspoon of salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon?

Yes - it is fine.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I not take the clarityn and just the saline and salt water? Ibuprofen upsets my stomach.

Yes please - that is fine - it was only for pain.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Have you heard of oil pulling? Swilling with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for 20 minutes before brushing teeth in the morning.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do I have to avoid sugar? I only have 40g of 85% chocolate a day and two little Madeleine cakes which are 6g sugar each.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ve already given up alcohol.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don’t drink coffee, dairy or gluten and take probiotics.

I heard about it and I used to do.

It is good.

Reducing sugar is good for oral problems.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You’ve been so helpful

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

"A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!"

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800