Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

Im looking to speak about menstrual cycle concerns, Yeah, I

Im looking to speak about menstrual cycle concerns
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Yeah, I have always kept a record
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have polystic ovaries and had issues with covid/long covid, have depression and asthma

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Please go ahead with your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have polystic ovaries so my periods are irregular. I didn’t have one for three months (which for me can be very normal) but I’ve had bleeding now for the last four weeks. It starts and stops except for the 8th-14tj where it was a period I’m used to. The bleeding will stop for 2/3 days and stop up again
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Start up again after 2/3 days of stopping

I’m sorry to hear about this problem.

Irregular and/or prolonged bleeding is characteristic of PCOS and is not harmful per se (with one caveat being an ultrasound scan should be undertaken if you go for 6 months or more without a period). In order to stop this episode of bleeding you can consider either starting a regular hormonal contraceptive or having a 3 week course of progesterone tablets - you doctor will be able to arrange these for you.

Going forwards, please consider trialling a low carb/ketogenic diet as this can be very effective in reversing the condition.

I hope this is helpful.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, thank you so much for your help.

You’re very welcome, all the best.

If you would be kind enough to provide any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.