Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I have suffered from depression for 12 years .I was on

Hello I have suffered from depression for 12 years .I was on fluoxetine for Bulimia 8 years ago.I am having another depressive episode where I Feel nothing, I spend time in bed, Im not sad, just numb and feel heavy The binge eating returned last year but no purging. I want to go back on fluextine because It helped me. What do I do?
JA: How long have you been taking Fluoxetine? Any recent changes in dosage?
Customer: No I took it about 8 years ago and then I stopped when Felt I could manage structured eating
JA: Got it. How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: I don't sleep well, I wake up eery 2-3 hours into my sleep.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: no, jus the Bulimia and depression

Thanks for using Just Answer

Fluoxetine is good for bulimia and also for depression

There's no reason why you cannot go back on fluoxetine if it worked previously

Your GP can easily put you back on it and monitor you over the next few weeks

I'll also recommend talking therapy to help you through your mood problems

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank You. I am with a new GP who doesn't know much about my history so worried about talking to him. I was in talk therapy till last year which helped but I couldn't action much beaucse of the low mood cycles. Should I show the GP my journal. I was on 20mg starting and we increased to 40mg.

I dont think your GP would have time to read your journal to be honest unless it was a double booked appointment but no harm in trying

Best thing to do is a one page summary of your mood symptoms and feeling which they can read through quickly and even attach to your notes for reference

Another thing to do is a self-questionaiire called PHQ-9, which is a good gauge of your symptoms over the last 2 weeks

https://www.mdcalc.com/phq-9-patient-health-questionnaire-9

20mg is always a good starting dose and can be titrated after few weeks if needed. Max dose is 60mg.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** fill the PHQ-9 questionnaire and write a one page summary for when I meet my new GP. I haven been assigned yet as I just registered with the practice so Ill have to wait and see. Its a big relief to speak to someone about this, thank you Very much!

No worries, feel free to come back if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will- thank you

With pleasure