Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a tiny parasite living on me. it seems to be getting

Customer Question

I have a tiny parasite living on me. it seems to be getting worse. there are visible signs of tiny various sized grey or white blobs stuck to the inside of my trousers, which I am now changing two or three times a day. they also bite me inside my bra and other areas. I am 77 and apart fro staying in b&b accommodation last year I cannot think what I have. I'm afraid my doctor thinks I imagine things, but I can definitely feel I am being bitten.
JA: Have you used any medication for the grayness?
Customer: I tried Lyclear twice last year but my doctor told me I shouldn't be using it.
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: He referred me to something called Health and Harmony, who took my details two weeks ago but have not got in touch again.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Just to say I have had two artificial hips in the last five years. I have been washing clothes at 60 degrees, showering twice a day, changing everything daily and hoovering regularly, I am very worried that I might pass something to my family when they come to stay next month.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
email is fine for an answer.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. You mention your doctor doesn't believe you.

If this is the case, I would request a referral into dermatology clinic. Any area that you perceive could be from a parasite can be biopsied to assess. It is indeed possible that it is or isn't a parasite, therefore a formal diagnosis would be useful.

You can ask your GP to refer you, or alternatively you can contact a clinic directly yourself if you are looking at managing this privately.

A diagnosis is ideally needed to be able to treat effectively.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I am certain it is some sort of mite or louse because I can feel a little sting when I am bitten. I think I have been referred two weeks ago, but no-one has contacted me since the first call acknowledging the referral. I search the internet all the time trying to match my symptoms but nothing seems quite right.

No worries, that is good that you have been referred. It doesn't match anything in particular therefore that is why examination, skin scrapings and possibly a biopsy would be needed to find out what is going on.