Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I think I could possibly have an attention deficit disorder

Customer Question

I think I could possibly have an attention deficit disorder but am unsure of how to approach the topic with my gp and am also concerned I might not actually have one and that I am just lazy
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the attention deficit disorder?
Customer: I've always had trouble concentrating ever since I was a kid, my teachers thought I was dyslexic but my mum didn't get me tested because she thought I was just being lazy. I have really bad procrastination, I've been given weeks to do assignments and never start them until the deadline is just days or hours away, I consistently have to re read or re watch lectures/ readings because I can never concentrate on the task, I zone out a lot and have to be told things many times, I have not spoken to a doctor about it but I have mentioned it to my parents
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: I haven't spoken to a doctor about this before its my first time reaching out today
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing that I think is related to this, I did go through a few months of therapy last year as I was feeling quite depressed but im feeling better now and I don't think the two are related
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 17 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear of your concern. It can indeed be difficulty to judge why we can be this way but I think ADHD is a reasonable consideration.

It is important, as if you are finding these symptoms impact your daily life, then medication can be used to improve them.

You can do some online ADHD screening if you search for it, often leads to a private provider to try and sell you their service though.

https://patient.info/doctor/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-pro#nav-2

This will tell you more about the condition.

https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/for-adults/adult-adhd-add/test-for-adhd

And here is an example of a brief test. You can then either contact someone privately for an assessment, this is typically up to £500. But this can be dealt with under the NHS, however typically about a 2 year wait.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you for your help ill have a read through the website and test

No worries at all, all the best.