Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

Can a GP arrange for someone with severe dementia to be

Customer Question

Can a GP arrange for someone with severe dementia to be admitted to a care facility? Social services are stating we have to contact the ambulance service who are in turn stating it should be social services.Please can you advise.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the dementia?
Customer: My father has severe dementia and has very short memory retention and constantly talking of not wanting to live. His GP has been involved since the onset a few years ago and my Mother has been admitted to hospital with a suspected brain tumour and was his carer, although infirm but clear of mind.
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: My sister has related this information to me so i cannot answer what was discussed. She has informed me that he needs 24/7 care and is a danger to himself and others.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Only that he needs total care. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 13 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Ansari, welcome to JA

I understand it becomes quite difficult to care about parents and to do a job at the same time, I've been there too. Please check out this link that may benefit you.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/dementia-support/

https://www.hee.nhs.uk/our-work/person-centred-care