Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

I think I have PMDD. I have been tracking my depression,

Customer Question

I think I have PMDD. I have been tracking my depression, anxiety for a few months now and it alwasy occurs around 2 weeks before my period and when searching what that meant I learned about PMDD, and I have every symptom!
JA: Apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: No contraceptives, and 12 April
JA: Got it. When was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: A couple of years ago, and no.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, I am taking St Johns Wort and have been for a long tim enow.
Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 14 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA, you may be right but do visit your doctor to diagnose the condition

-keep a record of your menstrual cycle and you may need some medications.

side effects of St Johns Wort include 1. Agitation 2. Anxiety 3. Burning or prickling sensation 4. Dizziness 5. Diarrhoea 6. Dry mouth 7. Fatigue 8. Headache 9. Increased sensitivity to sunlight (photosensitivity) 10. Insomnia 11. Irritability 12. Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) 13. Restlessness 14. Stomach discomfort 15. Vivid dreams

But your symptoms are associated with the menstrual cycle. This is PMDD and treatment for it includes OTC pain meds like Naproxen and if you want to have contraception then the best with PMDD is Ethinyl estradiol, others may be like SSRI(Cipralex).