Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I have a water infection and I’ve been on antibiotics for 3

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a water infection and I’ve been on antibiotics for 3 days however they haven’t made a difference in the slightest and I was wondering what to do now.. as my gp surgery is closed and I don’t think I can go the whole bank hol weekend
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Trimethoprim
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No x
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you're not better after the antibiotics. It suggests either they haven't had enough time to kick in (less likely) or that the infection is with a bug that's resistant to that particular antibiotic. Your best option would be to persevere with the antibiotic and drink plenty of fluids and head to your local walk-in centre (usually attached the the A&E) and they can do 2 things:

1. Check the results online about exactly which bug has grown and what is the best antibiotic for it

2. Change you to an alternative antibiotic