Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Please, The only symptoms are severe stomach pain, For over

Customer Question

Hi. Yes please
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: The only symptoms are severe stomach pain
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: For over 22 years since i was a child. No vomiting now or loss of appetite
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have tried many remedies but the pain keeps coming back
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 days ago.

What are your other symptoms apart from stomach pain?

What are the investigations and treatments done for pain?

Do you have shortness of breath, increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, burping, tenderness on the abdomen?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Other symptoms are bloating and gas. Usually happens when there is pain. There are also occasional heart burn. But that's rare

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder like irritable bowel syndrome. The other possibilities to look for are gallbladder dysfunction and diverticulosis.

The following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis patterns may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently the most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

The following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to break down certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without a prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners, etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You don't think it is a serious form of stomach ulcer? Or gastritis?

Your symptoms do not suggest peptic ulcer or gastritis.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I also feel the pain on my back and if not addressed on time, i feel the pain on my ribs aa well. Sometimes it feels like the acid in my stomach is too strong
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also, i have been initially diagnosed with h pylori and i did eradication theraly which helped for a while but symptoms came back

Symptoms have a low diagnostic significance I am afraid. So only investigations further can help to conclude.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What do you suggest?

I mentioned a list of the investigation above which you need to get done diagnosing the problem.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thanks

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!

Stay blessed.