Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I would like to know what should I do if I tested positive

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to know what should I do if I tested positive for HIV? (I have sent my testing samples recently, they haven't got back to me.)
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about HIV?
Customer: I have went out during a chilly night without any coats on and the other day I started to have red back throat, somehow like the pre-feeling of a sore throat but not quite... (im not sure how to describe the feeling but i feel, it was there) the past 2 days has been most significant, but today I felt its gone. When it happened, i can feel as if something was around my uvula especially when im drinking some water
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about HIV?
Customer: Nope
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Don't really know if its relevant, but I used to take a lot of steroids, on skin and pills as I had atopic eczema, the recent outbreak was last year.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good Afternoon Dr Ruff

Your symptoms are not specific to HIV and much more likely to be related to an upper respiratory virus.

however, as per your question, HIV is managed with medications, and this is via Sexual Health services, similar to the place you go to have sexual health screening.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Right, I see
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have a medicine with me at the moment, is it okay if you could check for me, it is okay to take it for the upper respiratory virus?

Of course

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the name of it is flemizyme produced in paschal laboratory, the component is Lysozyme hydrochloride 30mg/tablet

This is not licenced in the UK for this use, but that is what it appears to marketed for

For 2 days of symptoms I would personally do nothing as it is likely to be self limiting

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sure!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
one last question...
When my HIV test came back and if it's negative, would you advise me to still try to get PrEP and finish the course just in case of anything

For a sore throat, no. Unless you have had unprotected sex with someone who may be at high risk of having HIV

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had unprotected sex with someone who is negative and is under PrEP
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how about this situation?^

Then that should be fine

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sure! thank you for the help from answering all my questions, Dr. Ruff :)

That is my pleasure, take care.