Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had pain in my calf for a couple of weeks and now the

Customer Question

Hi. I have had pain in my calf for a couple of weeks and now the pain has gone up to my knee and has swollen up
JA: Have you used any medication for the pain?
Customer: ive used ibuprofen but it doesn’t take away the pain. I can’t bend my knee aswell as the other leg
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: I have put an online request in bu I won’t hear from them till at least Wednesday because of the bank holiday
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: only that I only have one kidney but it doesn’t stop me doing anything and causes no problems
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Did you have any tests done?

Any arthritis?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No I haven’t had any tests done. The pain I am getting doesn’t feel like it’s from the bones
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

Ok

Any knee swelling? or calf swelling?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 13 days ago.

There can be several possibilities:

1. Blood clot in the calf blood vessels --should be checked by doppler ultrasound.

1. Peripheral neuropathy: this mean the nerves supplying the calf muscles are getting damaged. Lower spine herniated disc, vitamin B12 deficiency, metabolic disorder, autoimmune disorder are some of the causes.
2. Peripheral vascular disease-- this refers to the blockage of the arteries supplying your calf muscle. The stopping distance is known as intermittent claudication.
Atherosclerosis, arterial spasm, pressure on the artery from outside are some of the causes.