Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

Can I talk to an ENT specialist about a swollen tonsil?

Customer Question

Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 5 days ago.

Hi thanks for getting in touch, could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? thanks

A swollen tonsil acutely is usually the result of a viral infection. The best strategy is to use warm saltwater rinses twice a day alongside Corsodyl mouthwash twice a day for a week. I would also advise you to use an anesthetic throat spray which you can buy from any pharmacy and will numb the back of the throat. Only if you notice large white 'balls of pus' attached to the tonsils would antibiotics be needed but that's the minority of cases and you should see your GP in that case but I'd try the above advice first. I hope that helps, all the very best.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello sorry it’s just the one tonsil that is swollen and has been for over a month
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (3T7S234)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m concerned because everything on the internet says tonsil or throat cancer

Hi thanks for the info and picture. To my eyes there isn't a significant difference in size and actually the back of the throat as a whole looks somewhat inflamed. The shape or texture of the tonsil isn't different to the other side either. There's never any harm in asking your GP to take a look but I really don't think there's cause for concern.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay thank you so much

You're very welcome, glad I could help. If you could leave a positive review I'd be really grateful, wishing you the very best moving forwards :)