Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have a baby îs 5 months old, no i didn’t, Yes is second

Customer Question

I have a baby îs 5 months old
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no i didn’t
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes is second day with diarea and he is vomiting as well
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 12 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Hello...I understand your concern.

It seems he is having having viral diarrhea. Once it starts it will take 4 to 5 days to completely get better...up to a maximum of 14 days.

Unless he is having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (elemental zinc 20 mg once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Ondansetron (as prescribed by your physician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea.

But she can take fruits as such as they contain fibre and help in formed stools. She can take zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Most crucial part is keeping him well hydrated. Make sure he passes urine at least 6th hourly once.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Everything start when every time when I was feeding him all the belly was red
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I taught he have some allergy or intolerance
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But after I try give him cold milk and he was ok
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 11 days ago.

Have you observed any food in particular to cause this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I give him just milk
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Nothing else
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Formula

Hi...I went through the history points you have provided -

I was expecting that there should have been a history of cow's milk and formula feed (this too contains cow's milk protein) given to the baby. I feel that your baby is having cow's milk protein allergy. Unusually babies grow out of this sort of allergy by 1 year of age.

My suggestions for you -

1. Mother should go off cow's milk protein completely. This means that you should avoid consumption of anything and everything related to cow's milk - like - milk/ curds/ ghee/ butter milk/ chocolates/ biscuits/ ice creams etc. Even while buying commercial food products, you need to see the ingredients and if they contain milk - do not consume them.

2. Feed you baby only exclusive breast feeds till 6 months of age and then start rice based feeds.

3. If this is followed scrupulously - the baby will stop having diarrhea in another 3-14 days and then start gaining weight too.

4. If you feel your feeds alone are inadequate for the baby, then Neocate is the only option till 6 months age.

I request you to keep me posted about the recovery of the baby and follow of the case.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I feed him with formula milk what I need to do in this case

Shift to Neocate feeds - the best hypoallergenic formula.