Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

Have constant mucus drawing from sinuses to both middle

Customer Question

Hi have constant mucus drawing from sinuses to both middle ears, I think I had polyps and the last 6 weeks they seem to of completely dissapared. My nasal passages are clear. The mucus is a very sucky transparent texture and I have to swallow and keep doing exercises to open both eustachian tubes. I am steaming to thin the mucus but it thickens wishing an hour or 2, please advise?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the polyps?
Customer: No, they are not there now, I can breathe better than the last 20 years. It's the sinus in my cheeks that seem to be draining constantly. Symptoms are clogged middle ear, drains then refills.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the polyps?
Customer: Yes but he said they were very small and as I said def not there now as my nostrils are fine and my sinuses empty then refill
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma and suffer in recent years from sinusitis
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 13 days ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

1. Were you completely normal before these symptoms started - I mean - you never had any upper respiratory symptoms previously?

2. Is there any pus discharge from the ear?

3. Are your tonsils enlarged?

4. Do you have snoring or mouth breathing at night?

5. Are you experiencing any daytime somnolence?

6. Are you running any temperature?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thanks for your reply Dr :-)
1. No, I had a really blocked feeling for 4 months between in my left ear. Then I started steaming and after a few weeks my nasal passages became clearer than they have been for 20 years since then contact mucus in middle ears but blockage has gone.I developed asthma 6 years ago and consequently regular sinusitis
2. No dischage
3. No
4. I am a dedicated nose breather
5. No.
6. No

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

This sounds like eustachian catarrh.

The symptoms might last as long as 7 - 14 days please.

You may require intranasal steroids for this apart from antibiotics.

The choice of steroids can be Mometasone or Fluticasone and they should be taken twice a day into each nostril for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.

These are prescription medications and currently you can take Claritin one tablet once daily till you get a scheduled appointment either with your primary care physician or an allergist.

You can also use - Flonase nasal spray.

As a home remedy you can do warm salt water gargling three or four times a day before food.

Avoid moving around in chill weather and excursions of ambient temperature inside the house.

Your physician might also prescribe medication called Monteleukast 10 milligrams taken once daily in the evening for a period of 6 to 8 weeks and this particular drug is very good in keeping the allergy under control on prolonged usage.

I will explian you some anatomical issues in the situation you are facing so that you an be well informed why I have suggested the above medications.

Ear has 3 parts.

1. External ear...one visible outside.

2. Middle ear - behind the ear drum.

3. Internal ear - attached to brain.

There a tube called eustachian tube connecting middle ear to the pharynx.

This is what will open during yawning and equalize the pressure during a flight take off, relieving the blocked ear feeling.

Sometimes this tube gets blocked and gives a feeling of blocked ear due to the air in the middle ear getting absorbed.

So the above medication will open the eustachian tube from internally, equalize the pressure and give you relief from blocked ear sensation.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Dr, I have actually learnt so much in the last 2 months about the human ear and am able to manipulate my eustacean tubes to open, thats the only way I seem to be able to drain them. I've had this for 8 weeks. The mucus changes from sticky to runny depending on the tubes opening but when sleeping I wake up totally clogged and it takes 2 hours of stalling mucus before the open properly?

I am sorry for your symptoms - but I feel the intra nasal steroids are going to work well.