Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have just been diagnosed with occipital neuralgia in both

I have just been diagnosed with occipital neuralgia in both sides and it took 9 years to get it. I also have the exact same pain in my face which I’m trying to persuade maxiofacial that it is Trigeminal Neuralgia. They don’t believe me because it is in both sides of my face. I know that’s rare but can it be impossible?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 9 years also. Nothing working now. Been on duluxitine gabapentin and amitriptyline for all that time but the pain has become unbearable. Even tramadol doesn’t help.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have tmj in both sides of my face but maxiofacial agree that the pain I am in is way more than the damage to my joint so he thinks it’s defiantly not all tmj pain. That’s a different type of pain too. The symptoms I have are shooting burning aching feeling like my head is in a vice at my temples, my cheek bones feel like they’re crushed and my teeth feel like they are bleeding or falling out. The pain goes across my cheek then up into my eye which also aches. It also goes down to my jaw and into my neck. In the last year my throat has also started to throb. Thanks.

this is Dr. David

an MRI scan of the brain can see signs of trigeminal neuralgia with inflammation of the trigeminal nerve.

you should get an MRI scan of your neck spine as well

do you have bad neck muscle tension or anxiety symptoms?  bad anxiety can cause neck tension

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Well I had a neck scan which didn’t show any nerve compression but the were looking at the cervical vertebrae as I had neck pain too. This was eventually diagnosed as occipital neuralgia.

I see.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

do you have a bite guard for your teeth and jaw clenching which can cause TMJ

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have two top and bottom though they often fall out when I am asleep

you may need to have them better fitted

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I did ask but they said I only get one. Do you think it could be tmj then. Are my symptoms not that of TN? I have to say it’s the most excruciating pain I ever had and that includes giving birth.

it is unlikely you have bilateral TN

you should get a brain MRI scan.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok. I’ll ask maxiofacial next time I go back. Thank you so much for tour advice. I hope they can do something more than an arthrocentisis as that doesn’t help one bit and the medicine is barely touching it now. Thanks again.

you are welcome