Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I need help with some balance issues I am having

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

Please describe your issue in detail.

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello there I am 37 year old female and for quite some time I have been experiencing disequilibrium and sensations of movement I am not making. I’ve had brain mri and ct to rule out anything nasty but this is still really stressful to live with. I’ve noticed that my neck is so stiff on the right side and it really aches in the areas of the picture I will send to you. I also notice my right eye often feels slow and strained and my tongue on he same side is very tingly. Could this all be connected?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I also get tinnitus and always feeling off balance
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also tension headaches

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you

There are many different causes of such dizziness.

Basically, the causes are divided into two, Peripheral and Central.

Peripheral causes are causes in the ear, like BPPV, labyrinthitis, vestibular weakness and, Meniere's disease.

Central causes are causes due to other conditions like cervical vertigo, cerebellar conditions, strokes, etc.

Systemic conditions like heart causes, anxiety, low BP, infections, disease conditions, etc. can also cause dizziness.

One condition that can connect your symptoms is cervical vertigo. Cervical vertigo is dizziness caused by cervical disc lesion, cervical disc lesions can also cause a pain in the neck. It would not cause eye or tongue symptoms however. A skull base lesion can also cause all your symptoms like pain in the neck, dizziness, eye and tongue symptoms.

You should first go to your PCP/Family Physician to rule out all systemic causes of such dizziness. You need a full body checkup for this. You need a thorough physical examination to rule out any causes like low BP or infections, blood tests for anemia, sugar, electrolyte abnormalities, liver and kidney diseases. You also need to be checked for cardiac conditions and tests to rule out neurological conditions like TIA, MS, etc. If necessary a CT or MRI of the brain is needed. You should also discuss about cervical disc lesions and skull base lesions for which a CT or MRI will be helpful.

Meanwhile you can do the following rehabilitation exercises which will help with the dizziness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3Zd95PzDk

You should also take Cap. Benadryl twice daily, this helps with dizziness. It may cause some sleepiness.

But you must show to your doctor at the earliest.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have head a mri of my brain and inner ear and a CT scan of my head. I have had many blood tests that are always ok apart from little iron so I take supplements. This is aggravated by movements because it doesn’t happen when I am still and the area I circled on my neck aches a lot. I have read that the SCM muscle can cause positional dizziness and a lot of the symptoms I am experiencing is this true? I feel a lot of pressure around the back of my head too

Some physiotherapists believe that pressure on the clavicular head of the SCM can cause facial pain, positional vertigo, etc. But this is not proven.

Still, you can consult a physiotherapist and do some physiotherapy on this muscle to see if it improves your symptoms, since you ave already been checked.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok sure. If I had cancer in my neck would the ct or mri have seen it?

Yes certainly

Customer: replied 9 days ago.