Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I need a knee replacement, I now have a pain onthe outside

I need a knee replacement
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I now have a pain onthe outside of my knee going down my leg
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have run our of painkillers and have not taken them for over a week
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It does swell on a regular basis

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee.

What is your question please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No I can text
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I need a knee replacement the pain in going down the outside of my leg from just above the knee too a few inches below the knee

Okay thanks, ***** ***** want a private Orthopaedic hospital?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No can you tell me what it might be the problem

Sorry, you have said you need a Knee Replacement. I have assumed a doctor has told you this. A knee replacement is typically done secondary to Osteoarthritis.

Is this a self diagnosis and you haven't been seen by someone?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
A doctor told me

They would have given you a diagnosis for this.

What reason are you questioning their diagnosis for you if they have told you that you need a knee replacement?

As mentioned, Osteoarthritis is the reason for knee replacements. If physiotherapy hasn't helped, and you can no longer manage this with pain control, then that is where surgery is indicated.

I am therefore not really sure what your question is if someone has already seen you and advise you of this.

This would have been diagnosed with an xray.

If this hasn't been done, then you have not been worked up appropriately. Therefore if this hasn't been done, you need an examination to clarify the cause to the knee pain. If it is suspected to be arthritis then an X-ray would be advised, if a ligament or meniscal injury then an MRI would be better.

A physiotherapist should also assess you. Most conditions can be managed conservatively with physiotherapy alone. If no improvement or the question of the diagnosis is in doubt, then at this point it would be appropriate to see an Orthopaedic Surgone.

Surgeon sorry.

Follow this and you will more likely sort this issue out. If there is anything else then please ask, however I am logging off shortly but will be able to respond tomorrow.