Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

When I’m lifting my arms up and keeping them in the air I

Hi when I’m lifting my arms up and keeping them in the air I very quickly start to get soreness that gets worse, I’m noticing it more as I was playing a vr game and I had to lift my arms up to pull a lever and after a little while I can feel a soreness and it hurts to hold the hand in the air. Admittedly I don’t move my arms around that much and am not as active as I could be however it is quite painful.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I know exactly what you're talking about as I myself got an Occulus Quest 2 a few months back. It's because your lats (latisimus dorsi) muscle is getting a workout through VR and is actually really common. On the other hand with time the muscle will actually get stronger. I'd advise you take an ibuprofen with food and leave the VR for 24 hours and you should notice it's better.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
that’s what I’m on too the quest 2, I expected to have some pain when playing certain games, like climbing etc. I was just surprised that even just pulling a lever whilst sitting would hurt so much as well. So do you think it’s a normal thing then and with time will get better?

Absolutely, sometimes it's not a repetitive motion that's the cause of the discomfort but can just be the angle at which we move etc. It's actually not a bad idea to do some stretching before playing. It'll definitely get better on it's own just give it a rest for 24 hours and stretch out before you next play.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help

You're very welcome, glad I could help. If you could leave a positive review I'd be really grateful. All the very best :)