Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My mother was diagnosed with Giant Cell arteritis 2 years

My mother was diagnosed with Giant Cell arteritis 2 years ago and put on 40mg perdisolone daily. In the last year she has developed other symptoms that fit the profile of Cushings Syndrome. She has broken bones easily including spine verabrea. Her skin is flushed pink. This morning she rang me with a new symptom. She had a throbbing sensation in both eyes without visual disturbance. She also has lots of headaches. Please advise what is the next step for exploration and diagnosis. I am worried as I know stroke is an outcome of GCA but also Cushings Syndrome. Kind Regards ***** *****
JA: How long has your mother been using prednisolone? Has it helped at all?
Customer: She has had for the past 2 years if not 3 and it has helped with the GCA. She used to have distorted vision, seeing straight lines a chevrons. This has stopped.
JA: Got it. Has she seen a doctor about giant cell arteritis?
Customer: Yes, she saw a specialist privately but her care fell by the wayside due to the pandemic. My mum has been gradually reducing the steroids herself. Currently on 12mg daily. She has been under a lot of stress over the past 2 years. Her husband died in the ward next to her in hospital when my mum was admitted for multiple fractures of the spine.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She has been diagnosed with persistent high blood pressure.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please phone me Tel:07879844176. Im not good with a computer or smart phone

Hello Cathy,

Is your mother continue taking 40 mg prednisolone for 2 years?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No she has reduced them herself to 12mg

Thank you Cathy for talking on the phone.

As discussed these symptoms need to be evaluated by a CT scan or an MRI.