Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

Do I have lung cancer? No, I am worried of having lung

Do I have lung cancer?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am worried of having lung cancer
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you. I need some additional information. Your age? What symptoms do you have? Coughing or shortness of breath etc? Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Dr. Mark
I am 36 years old. I used to be a chain smoker but I have stopped for 6 years now
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
3 years ago I started coughing heavily it lasted for 5 months, it then stopped
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This time, 1 month ago I caught a cold and my cough started again. It's still not going away
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am concerned about my continuous lingering coughs
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I prefer to type
At your age it would be highly unlikely that you have lung cancer. It usually takes many more years of chronic smoking to cause that. There are other factors for lung cancer such as having asbestos exposure or radon exposure. Since your cough has gotten worse recently I would suggest that you get tested for Covid. I would also suggest that you get a chest x-ray and have pulmonary function studies. Asthma is a common cause for a chronic cough and this can be detected on physical examination of the lungs and by the pulmonary function study.
I would see your family doctor to get the basic examinations as I mentioned above. If there’s any question of the possibility for lung cancer than a CAT scan of the chest would be the definitive test.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.