Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have a scab on my head that just wont heal up it has been

Hi, I have a scab on my head that just wont heal up it has been there for a few months now.
JA: Have you used any medication for the scabbing?
Customer: No I havent, do you recommend anything ?
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the scabbing?
Customer: No I have an appointment but due to Covid restrictions it is not for a few weeks
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I dont thonk so think
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
May I request you to upload and image please?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Do you need help in uploading the image.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (3L5ZP4V)

Please hold on.

1. How long have you had this and has this appeared recently?

2. Did this start after scratching?

3. Are there any other similar lesions on the body and in your social contacts?

4. Are there any sensory symptoms like - itching / burning / pain?

5. Has there been any recent change in color, consistency, surface, margins or diameter?

6. Are these in Sun exposed areas too?

7. Are you having multiple moles on the body?

8. Is there any family history of Melanoma or basal cell carcinoma?

9. Is there any history of exposure to UV radiation, which comes from the sun and from tanning lights and beds?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
1. This has been there for around 4 months.
2. I did scratch my head on a bush.
3. No
4. No
5. It has been a consistent size
6. No
7. I have lots of moles
8. No
9. No

Thank you for uploading the image for my better understanding.

This looks like Folliculitis of the scalp.

When hair follicles on the scalp become inflamed, it leads to a condition called scalp folliculitis. Folliculitis isn’t unique to the scalp, it can also affect the body, especially in areas that are irritated by tight clothing or traumatized by shaving. Typically, folliculitis causes red scalp bumps that are tender or itchy. The bumps may be filled with a clear or yellow fluid.

This skin and scalp condition is caused by bacteria or fungus. When it involves the scalp, it’s more common in people who don’t wash their hair regularly and those who wear tight hats or constrictive head wear. It’s also more common in the summer when the air is hot and humid.

Another special type of folliculitis caused by a bacteria called pseudomonas comes from soaking or swimming in poorly maintained pools, hot tubs or whirlpools.

Folliculitis of the scalp may respond to topical antibiotic treatment, although some of the bacteria that cause it have become resistant to antibiotic ointments available at the drugstore. Shampooing every other day with a mild shampoo that contains tea tree oil may help as tea tree oil has natural antibacterial properties. In cases that don’t improve with tea tree oil, an anti-fungal shampoo may ease symptoms. Its worth looking into products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, and the following products help to care for and hydrate the hair follicle.

But as of now - I suggest you go ahead with oral antibiotic therapy with Oral Clindamycin for a period of 7 days please. This can give excellent relief as it has got very good tissue penetration.

The appearance looks like a folliculitis, but a sebaceous cyst with secondary infection cannot be completely ruled out and even otherwise the same management strategy will work excellently well for that also.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank You

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800