Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

On Thursday and Friday I went to the gym for the first time

Hi there, on Thursday and Friday I went to the gym for the first time in years so as expected I am aching. I have pain on both sides of my chest however my right side usually only hurts when I move yet my left side hurts when I’m not moving. I’m just worried it is more of a problem as I can’t seemto get rid of the pain when I call it a pain it isn’t even that painful I would say more uncomfortable
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: I have not had this before and not particularly I can breathe fairly freely
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really other than I am 21 years old

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm certain you've slightly pulled a muscle in a workout and it would be expected to affect both sides of the chest as it's probably the same exercise or movement that's responsible or as the chest is connected around so I don't think it's a major concern to have some degree of symptoms in both sides if you're otherwise comfortable and breathing fine etc. If moving is slightly uncomfortable you can use a paracetamol or ibuprofen with some food and remember to make stretching a vital part of your workout. I hope that helps, you'll be fine in a day or two. All the best :)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for you’re answer, the uncomfortable feeling on the left side of my chest seems to be there even when I’m not moving around yet my right side of my chest only hurts when I move or if I’m in an awkward position. Could the feeling also feel deeper then the surface of my chest?

No I don't think it's likely to be anything deeper. If muscle tissue is inflamed after a degree of injury, it doesn't have to move or be stretched to give discomfort. I'd use 400mg ibuprofen with food three times a day for 2 days and apply some ice to both sides of the chest and you should notice it improve rapidly. I hope that helps, all the best.