Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

I started to poo blood yesterday and quite a lot of it

Hi I started to poo blood yesterday and quite a lot of it should I be worried ?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Quite good I started to go gym again and eat healthy
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: today wasn’t as bad but I’m still worried and have pains in my lower back causing discomfort

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am Dr.Andrew, a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Answers here are for education and information.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Respected customer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information, and I will help you figure out a solution.

May I know your age and gender?

Do you have a history of constipation?

Any burning or itching in the anus?

Have you noticed any lump in the anus?

I am waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am 22 and male and no constipation normally on the oiler quite frequently . I’d say slight itching but no burning but since then I have had pains in my lower back
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Toilet *

Respected customer

Thank you for providing the details. I can understand your concern and worry.

I am now preparing and typing my answer, and I will post my reply here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Respected customer

Thank you for staying online,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling, but hopefully, we can resolve this.

The symptoms you have described of having blood in your poo can be due to various causes.

The condition of having fresh red-colored blood in stool is called hematochezia. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be brighter red. This blood is coming from the lower gastrointestinal tract.

Its most common causes are hemorrhoids, anal fissures, diverticular bleeding, intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis), inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease.

You may need the following tests:

-Stool examination,

-Anoscopy-Rectal examination

-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,

-Colonoscopy

Hemorrhoids are the most probable cause of your symptoms.

Hemorrhoids are swollen, inflamed veins around the anus or lower rectum. Too much pressure on the veins in the pelvic and rectal area causes hemorrhoids.

The following treatment measures are recommended for you now:

· You can apply cream called preparation H.It works as a topical anesthetic, vasoconstrictor, and skin protectant. It shrinks the hemorrhoidal tissue. You can get it at your pharmacy without a prescription.

· You need to increase the number of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

· Have a sitz bath to soak your anal area in plain warm water for 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day.

· Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus. This will constrict the blood vessels and hence stops bleeding.

Avoid straining to pass the stools.

All this should help you greatly to stop bleeding and treat other symptoms.

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions that you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Respected customer,

You are very welcome! I am glad I was able to help.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

I wish you good health and get well soon.

God bless you and take care.