Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Marrow in cervical spine ( painful ) on mri reduced t1

Marrow in cervical spine ( painful ) on mri reduced t1 weighted ...?

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

What is your question please?

Also what symptoms have you had to require an MRI please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, I had headaches for 2months solid which prompted two ct’s- showed a ? Hemangioma in sphenoid. Mri followed- head and neck pain continued, mri showed small infarct in cerebellum and the marrow to be of homogeneously reduced t1 signal in cervical spine. Now having further bloods - had bp meds doubled due to infarct however the ?? marrow finding I’ve now been referred to haematology....

Okay thanks you. So reduced signal of marrow can imply it is being replaced by something else such as fatty tissue. This can be as a consequence of injury to the spine, but also due to some problems with the marrow itself.

It is certainly quite non specific, but haematology are your best option as they may consider taking a small sample of it to assess it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you - is it non specific even if I’ve had pain. Also had left leg weakness ( only left leg) but can’t be sure wasn’t down to infarct ...I don’t think it was... I haven’t had an injury. I looked up the bloods and looks to be ruling out myeloma ...?The infarct in cerebellum ( I had a bad ‘vertigo’ experience on holiday after 12 hour journey last year - do you think could be related to the infarct and poss small stroke - I am only 37 but had high bp since having children , non smoker). Thank you

It is possible that a small infarct can cause this. It is also possible with migraines to have these small infarcts as well which can been seen in younger people.

I think excluding Myeloma is reasonable given what has been seen, but it doesn't really bring all of these symptoms together. Therefore makes my think it could be an incidental finding within the spine of no concern.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you v much