Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a question about my teenage son. He always has

I have a question about my teenage son. He always has extremely cold hands and feet even though he feels warm. He's had this for a long time and I feel it's something I'd like to get checked. He doesn't have any tingling sensation, numbness or pain at all, so no Raynauds.
JA: How long have you had the numbness? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I said that he doesn't have numbness, it's just his hands and feet are always ice cold. For several months.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the numbness?
Customer: No because the practice is busy with vaccinations so they recommend finding other ways to speak to a doctor
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, he's otherwise completely healthy.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you

I am sorry to hear this. I am just reviewing the question.

So Raynauds is still the most likely cause. Cold hands implies reduced blood flow. Blood is warm, therefore in conditions such as raynaud's where the vessels can constrict due to over sensitivity, this can cause the hands to feel cold.

Severe symptoms include pain and tingling.

Therefore this is reassuring.

How old is your son please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is 13. He doesn't have the pain or tingling that 's why I thought it's not Raynauds.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
His hands can sometimes get a bit of a blue tinge.

I Okay thanks. So this doesn't exclude Raynauds.

Given your sons age I would suggest getting him to referred to Paediatrics. He is young to have this, doesn't mean that it isn't Raynauds but there are some connective tissue problems that can cause it therefore may fall under Rheumatology.

The first stop would be Paediatrics. They are however likely to just observe this given it isn't causing any problem as such.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK, this couldn't be anything to do with his heart not pumping blood sufficiently? Just wanted to rule that out.

This is unlikely to be cardiac in cause, so no I do not think there is anything to worry about regarding the heart.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try and speak to our local GP practice.

That is my pleasure, all the best.