How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shahid Karim Your Own Question
Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 398
Experience:  MBChB
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Shahid Karim is online now

I've been having problems with delayed ejaculation & I'm not

This answer was rated:

Hi, I've been having problems with delayed ejaculation & I'm not sure wha the problem is
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: No medication, usually little sensation during sex. However it doesn't take unusually long during masturbation, only sex
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the sensation?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I dont think so

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. Could I ask if you're on any regular medications? Thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No medication

I see, thanks. Given the issue doesn't occur during masturbation pretty much fully confirms that this is a psychological issue rather than a physical one. Stress is usually the main cause but things that affect mood in any way can affect it and once the issue starts, sometimes we start worrying about it during sex and that makes it harder and we can get trapped in a cycle. It's important to try to relax and speak with your partner and try to get the 'pressure' off.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It did start after a break up so that would make sense..

I'd start by just talking to your partner and trying to get through it that way. If you notice it getting in the way a lot then it may be worth looking into some counselling but more often than not it just needs time.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
its been 2 years so might need to see someone to be honest

There's no shame in it at all and it really can work wonders. I'd advise you either ask your GP to help set something up or find a service online but I think it'll really help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks Shahid. Maybe a gp check first? or are you pretty sure its a psychological?

Oh certainly a GP check first is a good idea. They might take a testosterone level as well although its use is fairly limited here and also they can refer you on for counselling from there. The fact that it doesn't happen during masturbation is the key here.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you

You're very welcome, I hope you feel better soon. If you could leave a positive review I'd be really grateful. All the best for the future.

Shahid Karim and 7 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will do Shahid, thank you