Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I experienced sudden hearing loss in my right ear 3 months

I experienced sudden hearing loss in my right ear 3 months ago and wonder what could have caused this a lady at specsavers said bit could be fluid in the back of the ear I have tried the things suggested Bon the internet without success
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the loss of hear?
Customer: yes I have spoken to a doctor he said he would make me an appointment with an ent doctor but hav e not heard anything
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: i told him my ears felt blocked both ears but I can hear with my left ear but I have to say my right ear does not seem to feel so bad and I fear I may have lost the hearing in that ear my m/Ian concern is to make sure my left ear does not go the same
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no I don’t think so
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark and will assist you. I’m sorry that you developed this problem. How old are you? Do you have ringing in that ear? Pain?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am 76 yes I do have ringing in my ear which is quite loud
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No pain
There are many causes for sudden hearing loss. I’ll give you some of the common causes. Though often a specific diagnosis remains unknown. Sudden hearing loss is considered a urgent medical problem.
Some possible known risk factors and causes include:Bacterial infection
Viral infection
Inner ear disorders, especially Meniere's disease
Migraines
Tumors (e.g. acoustic neuroma)
Some drugs can cause hearing loss as a side effect, known as ototoxic medications, especially if taken in high doses
Neurologic diseases or disorders (e.g. multiple sclerosis)
Head injury or trauma
Autoimmune diseases (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis)
Circulation issues (e.g. vasculitis)
Ear wax
The workup is done by an ENT specialist. The doctor will look in your ear with a microscope and order a hearing test. An mri of the brain is commonly done. In most cases steroids are used immediately to try and restore the hearing.
Here’s a helpful website with additional information. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hearing-loss/
Speak to your gp as you need to be examined quickly and referred to ENT.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you it seems I will just have to wait for an appointment at the hospital
I’d at least see your gp to have your ear examined. There may be wax or an infection that the gp can treat.
You’re welcome. Do you have any further questions or need clarification?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have had wax removed and a hearing test at specsavers doctors wont do wax removal at the moment
I’d see your gp as sudden hearing loss is an urgent concern and needs quick evaluation and treatment. Your gp needs to get you into an ENT doctor asap.