Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Second opinion. Is very dark stools normal? One piece of

Second opinion. Is very dark brown stools normal? One piece of stool is two tone, being medium brown and very dark brown. Not black or tarry. No symptoms no pain no nothing. Just wondering if this is normal. Male age 30.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

I understand your concern.

The color of stool is determined by the amount of brown pigment called stercobilin. Stools can be different shades of brown and that's not a sign of any disease. You should be fine.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That's great. Thank you. I will give you a good review. So stools can be almost black but brown and that's normal? Also when people say black stools are not good do they mean literally black and tarry?

Black stools which are a sign of disease are tarry and jet black. Those stools are usually less solid and imply a bleeding somewhere in the upper GI tract. Dark brown stools are not bad and don't mean any disease.

You're most welcome.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
You're amazing doctor. One more question. If stools are not completely jet black then all is well?

That's correct. No worries if stools are not jet black.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
jet black stools would cause the whole stools to be jet black and dirreah also wouldn't it? I will give you a good review now once I get a reply.

Yes, that's right. The whole stools would be black and semisolid /flowy.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That means like mushy texture? And not shapeless?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Like dirreah?

More like mushy and diarrhea.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi, doc. I will give you a tip after this last question! Would black and tarry stools cause pain also? I'm just curious in learning.

Hello!

Black tarry stools don't cause pain on their own.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I sent you £2 for helping me, Doctor. I went again this morning and the stools were lighter brown so I believe all is well because if blood causes jet black stools then it wouldn't return to normal isn't that right, Doctor. Thank you for your help. You have no idea how much you actually help people, so credit yourself and we'll done.

It wouldn't have gone back to normal if there was an issue. You can relax.

Happy to help.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks, Doctor.

No problem:)