Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

Shahid I want to ask is a HIV PCR test useful? Thanks

Hello Dr ShahidI want to ask is a HIV PCR test useful ?Thanks

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. No I don't think so with the risk as low as we said and with no break in the condom I don't think there's even a remote chance it would be positive.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand. However I keep getting episodes of anxiety and panic attacks and it’s really effecting my work and studies and to wait a month or so for the results will be a nightmare. I am willing to get it done so I can finally get peace of mind as I am unable to eat and sleep. With that being said , do you recommend this test for early detection ? And if it’s negative is that mean I am completely risk free?

I understand. You can certainly make an appointment at your local sexual health clinic and be tested absolutely. The PCR test is very good but when within 30 days of the sexual encounter, very rarely the test can be negative when it should be positive so in most cases we would test straight away, then again at 30 days from the exposure to double-check. At that stage you would be essentially 'risk-free'. I hope that makes sense and you feel better for it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
essentially, this test have a very low false-positive rate and is reliable but a normal hiv test still need to happen after 30 days to confirm completely? Thank you

That's exactly right. Glad I could help. All the best for the future :)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you doctor and you too
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just want to say thank you doctor for your advised the results for the HIV PCR test came back negative so I am very relieved so thank you for helping to ease my anxiety. I am going to study medicine this September and I aspired to be a doctor like you!

aww that's so sweet, you've made my day. Keep your head down and remember to always treat the patient how you'd like yourself or better yet your mum to be treated, that's always been my approach. You're gonna be great, all the best of luck for your studies, career and future! :)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can certainly see your passion and care for your patients even through a phone screen I can sensed it. You are a great person! Thank you again and good luck to you too sir!