Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have been diagnostic with fibromyalgia and in so much

I have been diagnostic with fibromyalgia and in so much pain. I have several other symptoms. Pins and needles shaking tremors sore head at right side. I take dihydrocodine pregabalin diazepam sertraline and amitriptiline. I spoke to a doctor who says nothing can be done to help. I am in so much pain
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: I have had symptoms for at least 10 year’s although it had been really bad the last 3. My sore heads have been all my life but these type of ones just for about 5 months. My eyes go blurry when reading and take a while to adjust. I have had my eyes retested. I get spots in front of my eyes 2. Nothing makes the pain worse or better
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Their as so many symptoms I sometimes forget but my neck and my back are really bad at the moment

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this. Fibromyalgia pain needs to be managed psychologically. Therefore this is why traditional pain relief isn't effective.

It is always worth seeing Rheumatology if you haven't already to confirm a diagnosis. Exercise programs are very helpful as well as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

As per medication, strong opioids are not recommended, however Tramadol is an option for break through pain. You could also review your Sertraline, what dose do you currently take?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am not completely satisfied with my diagnosis of fibromyalgia as I have lots of different symptoms. I used to take tramadol but they switched me to dihydrocodine. I was originally diagnosed by a rhumetologist but things have been way worse since then. Everything now gets blamed on fibromyalgia. I currently take 150mg of sertraline a day and it doesn’t make a difference. I have been on the waiting list for cbt for months and they have now said it will be done by messages rather than face to face or facetime

It is indeed a difficult diagnosis, this is why if it is in question, worth seeing Rheumatology as they are essentially responsible for the diagnosis.

You are on a good dose of Sertraline so I would agree this dose doesn't need adjusting.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will ask again if I could see a rhumetologist again. I just don’t know what to do in the meantime to manage my pain and symptoms but thank you for your advice

That is my pleasure, all the best with this.