Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Sister has had part of her thyroid removed and is suffering

Sister has had part of her thyroid removed and is suffering with really serious anxiety. She has been told that the Tumour removed was like a cherry on a stalk with a 1cm vascular part and jelly like around it total size 3 cm They have said it isn’t sinister the jelly is definitely benign . They are checking the 1 cm part again and mentioned thy1 but not in the context of not being enough cells to test. She is now reading all kinds into this and thinking she has cancer if lymph nodes etc It is illogical given what she has been told but she is really really anxious . Is there anything I can tell her to put her mind at ease?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No just question to help my sister
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thanks

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for your patience and I appreciate it. Please wait, I am typing an answer and it may take a few minutes to write a detailed answer. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

If you want a phone call, I am available to call you. We can stay in the chat as well. Regards

Respected customer, thanks a lot for your input, and thanks again for visiting justanswer.com! A great place where you can find guidance and/or solution from real experts. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Even I would get tense in this situation but being a thyroid surgeon, I would like to reassure you that so far things in her favor. Whenever we suspect a thyroid to be cancer, we check that whether it is solid or cystic. Solid is mostly cancer and cystic is almost always benign. The jelly-like thing which they have mentioned is cystic and this is very reassuring. If they have said Thy1 then this is the first stage of benign lesions and even if the cells were few the maximum possibility is of Thy2 so that is again benign. So tell your sister that there is no need to worry as per currently available information. If it comes out to be cancer then they will remove the rest of the thyroid and that will cure cancer. The prognosis of cancer is very very good even but so far she is likely to have a benign lesion. I reassure you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply as I am happy to address follow-up questions. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. I will be glad to help you always. If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link, please –

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-hasan/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your response just to say that the tumour was diagnosed as thy4 before the operation. She seems to think that when they mentioned thy1 after they had examined the tumour after removal they were talking about thy1 in the context of thy1 being an indicator of something to do with genes. Not specifically related to thyroid cancer
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No thank you I dont want a phone call

So they just said Thy1 on visual inspection?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
They said they didn’t know what the mass in the centre was so have sent it to Liverpool and will get back to her in 3 weeks . She is adamant that when they mentioned thy1 they were referring to follicular cell adhesion or something like that. If it doesn’t make sense to you then she must have misunderstood. Is it likely that they would mention thy 1 in the context of there nit being enough cells after they have already removed the tumour and one of the thyroid lobes ?

Actually, we can't mention Thy class on visual inspection. I have operated on a number of patients with initial Thy4 and then turned out to be just Thy1 on histopathology after removal. So your sister has a great chance of this being benign.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much

You are welcome dear, respected, and valuable customer. Your satisfaction is my prime goal. Have we discussed everything that you wanted? Thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Have a good day. Please remember to add me to your favorite doctor. Regards

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Dr Hasan Are you able to please confirm that when you are talking about thy1 in your responses above that you are referring to thy1 in the the thy1 to thy5 rating of thyroid tumours and that you are not referring to thy1 also known as C90 that can be an indicator of cancer elsewhere in your body

I was talking about Thy classification for thyroid cancer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

You are welcome

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Excellent service

:)