FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

I shattered my tibia and fibula in August last year. It was

Customer Question

I shattered my tibia and fibula in August last year. It was operated on and plates and pins where put on both sides. The doctor said they had not seen bones shattered in to so many pieces. I am 9 months into recovery and it is still painful and swollen. The doctors signed me off 3 months ago . I still have to walk aided with one crutch.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: From the beginning..
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes..... on the side of the tibia I have 2 open wounds that just started swelling then weeping
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

I am Dr Wadia. I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon and I will try to answer your questions today as best as possible.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having trouble following a tibia and fibula fracture.

May I ask how old you are?

Do you suffer from any medical conditions such as Diabetes, and do you take any medications?

Do you smoke?

When you injured your leg, did you have wounds on your tibia at the time?

Finally, do you have any pictures of X-rays that you can post here, the injury x-ray and the most current one?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
46
Occasionally
No
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sickle cell
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

These are complex fractures and as your doctor rightly said both the fractures are highly comminuted (multiple pieces)

Looking at the X-rays (I believe these are the latest?), the fixation done with the plates looks stable and in good alignment. The fracture appears to be healing but not fully healed yet.

The ankle joint per say looks normally aligned which is a good thing, but I suspect there will be some stiffness in the ankle too.

Couple of things....

1. You mentioned there are two wounds that are weeping over the tibia....that is a worrying feature...

Are these wounds newly formed and are they leaking recently?

Can you send a picture of these wounds here?

2. The fracture is in "delayed union" This could be due to a number of reasons....

Infection....and this needs to be ruled out for sure.

Smoking...especially relevant for this fracture location.

Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

Just saw the date on X-ray. 4th Dec 2020.

Do you have any more recent x-ray?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
These wounds have been coming then healing then starting in another area
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

The wounds may suggest a low grade infection at the implant site. This definitely needs to be investigated. You must request a review with the orthopaedic surgeon who treated you. He may order some blood tests, and special investigations such as a special bone scan.

If there is a suggestion/suspicion of infection, then this can be treated with long term suppressive antibiotics.

OR alternatively the surgeon may offer removal of implants. Whether anything further needs doing would depend on how good the healing is at the fracture site.

Stopping smoking completely for a period of time would definitely help!

Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

If a newer X-ray shows more healing at the fracture site compared to this Dec X-ray....then perhaps just removing the metalwork may help resolve these recurrent wound infections.

Expert:  FarokhW replied 12 days ago.

I hope this information helps but if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask here.