FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

I’ve previously contact you about my medical question and

Customer Question

Hello, I’ve previously contact you about my medical question and I’ve been to my doctors and they said that it is definitely carpal tunnel or nerve damage and I’ve had blood tests done but they’ve come back normal. I was prescribed Anti inflammatory medication but they haven’t helped at all. I can’t get a doctors appointment as they are really busy and I don’t know what to do cause the pain has got worse
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: I don’t know they haven’t said.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No there isn’t
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

My name is***** am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I will try and help answer your questions.

I am not sure who you spoke to here before, but I will be happy to answer all your questions about carpal tunnel syndrome and the best way to proceed, if you are OK to continue.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m okay to continue, would you like me to explain the symptoms?
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

Yes please.

Also may I know how old you are?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m 21
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve been having pain in my wrists for a few years now and whenever I use my wrists they hurt after doing something for a minute and I can’t twist or turn them a certain way or a shooting pain will go up my arm and when it’s cold my wrists feel really stiff and like I can’t move them, I was prescribed anti inflammatory medication but they haven’t worked, my wrists have gotten worse and the pain has now gone into my thumb
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I tried getting a doctors appointment but they don’t have any
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Is it one or both wrists?

Is the pain along the front or the back of the wrists?

Do you get any tingling/pins and needles or numbness in your fingers, especially the thumb, index or middle finger?

Do you have any other medical problems? Especially underactive thyroid?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It is on both wrists, it’s on the front and yes I do I get tingling/ pins and needles in the middle finger and Now on the thumbs on both hands The other medical problems I have is having epilepsy
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also sometimes get numbness but everyday the pain is different. One day it’s okay and I hardly get any pain and then the next it’s really painful
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

Ok. The symptoms you describe are suggestive of a carpal tunnel syndrome. This happens due to the compression of median nerve in the carpal tunnel, a small canal in front of your wrist.

This is usually idiopathic (which means it has no identifiable cause for it) but it could be secondary to a number of causes, the common ones being, diabetes, underactive thyroid, pregnancy related, or injury related such as previous fractures in the region.

The best way to diagnose a carpal tunnel syndrome apart from a clinical examination, is an EMG/NCV test. Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction velocity are special tests looking at how much the nerve is compressed and where is it compressed. If these tests do show a carpal tunnel syndrome, then the best option of treatment is a small surgery whereby the tight hand on top of carpal tunnel is released.

You will need to go to your GP and be referred to an Orthopaedic surgeon/Hand Surgeon who can then initiate these tests for you.

In the meantime, conservative measures can be tried. A wrist splint called a Futura splint can be worn on both wrists. These are available on Amazon or pharmacy. These will need to be worn for upto 6 weeks, especially at night time, but also during the day as much as possible.

Having said all this, occasionally there may be other conditions that can mimic these symptoms....conditions to do with small bones in your wrist. Again a discerning hand surgeon should be able to pick these up for you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thankyou, I’ll try to ring the doctors again to see if they have any appointments for next week
Expert:  FarokhW replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I would think that would be the best way forward.

Please feel free to ask any more questions here if you think it will help you.