Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I have pain in my lower left abdomen, it started 3 days ago,

Customer Question

I have pain in my lower left abdomen
JA: How long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: it started 3 days ago, the day after I ate a lot of red meat, which is out of the ordinary for me
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 19 days ago.

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 13+ yrs. experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

Please disregard any automated phone call requests as this is auto-generated and did not come from me.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 19 days ago.

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

May I know your age and gender, Please?

Any change in bowel movements?

Burning urination?

Nausea?

Waiting for your reply…

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
41 year old male.
No burning during urination or nausea.
On Friday I attended a barbeque where I ate a lot of red meat. The pain in my lower left abdomen started on Saturday morning and got progressively worse. I barely had a bowel movement over the whole weekend and I was not passing gas at all either, the pain got bad enough that I had to sit still, any movement or pressure put on my stomach was very painful. On Sunday evening I took a Senekot tablet. Yesterday morning I had a proper bowel movement and this morning as well, I have also been passing wind again. While this has improved my discomfort a lot I still have significant pain in my lower left abdomen. My question is is this a normal part of the recovery process or should the pain have gone away since I am now having bowel movements and passing gas? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 19 days ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am currently preparing and typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 19 days ago.

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

Such symptoms can come due to increase swallowing of gas during drinking and increase the production of gas in the colon from undigested food.
You should avoid foods that are causing an increase in gas production, You should not eat/drink too fast, chew the food properly, increase water intake, avoid smoking, cut down fat intake, and increase your daily mobility.

You should avoid these foods-

beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads, and carbonated drinks.

Avoid these items-

· Fruits like apples and pears

· Vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and onions

· Whole grains like bran

· Diary products, including milk, cheese, and ice cream.

You can try OTC simethicone to reduce such symptoms. This would be helpful.
Lifestyle habits such as meal timings, regular sleep timings, and most importantly regular bowel movements are also important. Some amount of physical activity is essential for the efficient functioning of your digestive system.

You can Try drinking about 30 minutes before a meal to help your stomach digest better. You should Eat and Drink Slowly.

Probiotics may also be useful in treating flatulence.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
It is advised that you should eat six small meals a day rather than three large ones. Smaller meals are easier to digest and may produce less gas.
Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.
A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.

Please follow suggestions, as we discussed and you would get good results.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Thank you for the opportunity to help and I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm concerned that I still have pain 2 days after my bowl movements and passing gas have returned to normal. Should I be or is this normal considering I was bloated and in pain for 2 days prior?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 19 days ago.

I understand your concern.

Yes, such an issue is common and normal.

In a few days, you would get good results. Please don't get panic about any serious issue.

You would be fine, please give it some more days, and you would feel better.

Wishing you the very best of health!

Stay Healthy and Stay Safe.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.