Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been having bowel issues for about a year now and

Customer Question

i have been having bowel issues for about a year now and would like to find the cause
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: no I'm not. after going to the toilet my lower stomach and lower back hurts. sometimes very excruciating pain to the point I cannot do anything. I also suffer with what I think are hemmoriods, as i have had about 4 lumps on my anus in the last year and have had blood on the toilet paper after wiping about 20-30 times. when i eat a certian amount of fibre, i get loose stool and very bad stomach pains. the same happens when eating dairy.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the back pain?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Please post a pic of the concerned area to provide your with precise diagnosis and treatment plan.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i have cancelled dairy out of my diet as well as spicy foods, and foods high in fibre, and fruit which has helped the pain but the pain has still not completly gone as is still fairly painful.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I would prefer to speak on here.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

Where is the pain located?

Any bloating?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
in my lower stomach, about an inch under my belly button, and in the same opposite on my lower back. and no bloating.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

Ok

You should get a colonoscopy first to check for polyps, diverticular disease, or inflammatory bowel disease.

You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms.

Here is the link:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/fodmap-diet-what-you-need-to-know

Please also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria.
Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance.
Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
should i be worried about the blood on the toilet paper after wiping? its happened about 20-30 times. sometimes it is with a lump on my anus, sometimes it isnt.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

Colonoscopy is advised due to that reason.

Probably hemorrhoid but need confirmation and rule out other inflammation in colon lining.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i dont feel comfortable having a colonoscopy done. is there another way around this?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

CT scan with contrast will be ok

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you. if the bleeding is hemmeroids, i assume the other pain is unrelated as it is every time i go to the toilet. what could this be?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

That is correct

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
what could the pain be caused by and is there a way to prevent it?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

I explained above --do not know for sure

Can be polyps, diverticular disease, Crohn's, Ulcerative colitis or from dietary issues.

try Low fodmap diet link I gave you above --will help

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 19 days ago.

welcome