Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I wanted to enquire about OCD, about 10 years ago but has

Customer Question

hi I wanted to enquire about OCD
JA: When did the OCD start? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: about 10 years ago but has gotten worse. No I am not . It is not a typical physical OCD more to do with my thoughts
JA: Got it. How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: I sleep quite well , no insomnia or anything like that
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of !
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 17 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you've had some difficulties with your OCD. Could you tell me a bit more about what you'd like to discuss? Thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi , I have never been diagnosed but I assume it is OCD. I have these thoughts about wishes and eyelash wishes. I have it my mind that my bad thoughts/wishes will come through if I say these by accident when I see an eyelash. Im not sure what type of OCD this is

I see. I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound potentially like OCD or similar. I think the best thing to do is to either see your GP and ask for referral to psychiatrist for assessment or indeed you can find someone local a psychologist even who can meet you and assess you and see if there's a formal diagnosis to be made. They can also start you on some therapy, usually talking therapy like cognitive behavioural therapy to help work through the issues with you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Am I right in saying that these thoughts don't come true ? I have just this thought in my head?

The eyelashes won't have any effect good or bad. It's just a combination of superstition and possible OCD.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry ino this sounds stupid , but it has been affecting my for quite a while.

Don't worry, I know it can seem silly sometimes but it starts as a small thought and can progress often becoming a huge concern of ours but that's exactly why you're looking for help. I understand. Don't feel embarrassed about it, we can help you with this. Start by speaking to the GP and they should refer you on for formal assessment.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You're very welcome indeed. Get in touch if you've further questions later and I hope it all works out for you. All the very best.