How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 56718
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now

How can I get prescibed medicine for my gynecomastia? I take

Customer Question

Hi how can I get prescibed medicine for my gynecomastia?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take mirtazapine, no im not
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No i dont think so, thankyou
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

What is your age?

What are the investigations done for gynecomastia?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am 24, Ive had it since I was a teenager, it seem to of got worse over time
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry for the delay in my reply. I was called for an emergency minor surgical procedure. I apologize for your wait.

You would require hormonal assessment and an ultrasound for the evaluation as the first step.

Gynecomastia refers to a benign enlargement of the male breast resulting from the proliferation of the glandular tissue of the breast. This may be considered as a physiologic situation: (transient gynecomastia of the newborn caused by maternal or placental estrogens and, pubertal gynecomastia observed in 40% of adolescent boys, resolving by 18 years of age are the other situations); gynecomastia that occasionally occurs in older adult men (resulting from changes in estrogen and androgen metabolism).

True gynecomastia must be distinguished from enlargement of breast tissue secondary to lipomastia, in which enlargement is caused by excess adipose (fat) tissue. Mammography may distinguish between these two entities if the physical examination is indeterminate. Gynecomastia occurs as concentric, palpable glandular tissue beneath the areola that is not fixed to underlying structures.

For cautionary reasons following should be done;

1) Liver function tests

2) Examination of testes and prostate

3) Hormone estimations; prolactin, estrogen, and thyroid.

You may need minor surgery if the size is not reducing in the last 1-2 years.

I am sorry again for your waiting.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.