How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Anil Kumar Your Own Question
Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 15775
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Anil Kumar is online now

I have chest injury and wanted to know how to deal with the

Customer Question

I have chest injury and wanted to know how long to deal with the pain before calling my Gp or 111
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: I was hit by car on saturday, had chest trauma
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Last 24 hours I am breathless when walking around, fling up the stairs. Just wanting to know if this is normal given the injury
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

And I would serve you with care and patience.

First I need to ask a few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns; I am preparing & typing the questions now, and I will follow up with you.

NOTE - All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.
We can continue our conversation now through text in this reply forum.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age?

Swelling, bruising, tenderness on the chest?

Are you taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hit by car, I was knocked unconscious and admitted to hospital with chest and head injuries. CT scan showed no fractures. I am in severe pain over my chest/sternum area.I am 30I am taking ibuprofen, co codamol in the evening 30mg and laxatives.I have head stitches and had significant blood loss but the pain and my breathing is my concern.Thank you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have chest brusing and struggle so move my entire upper body in general including pain on my shoulders neck and back
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes.
I’ll reply to you back soon after reviewing it.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

Sorry for the late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all this additional information.

I understand your concern.

And it’s my first privilege to pay attention and provide you with suggestions to relieve your discomfort/ worry.

Well as you describe, it sounds like bruised ribs/ Costochondritis.

And it may take some time to heal.

You should avoid any undue stretching.

Also, avoid tight garments.

Icing the area regularly can help with healing and pain relief. You can also use a hot water bag to ease your pain and discomfort.

See your doctor again for prescribing strong pain killers and may also advise respiratory therapy. You’ll learn breathing techniques that can reduce some of the pain, while still allowing you to fill your lungs with air.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Let me know if you have any further queries so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is it normal to be short of breath with this?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much. It makes.l sense. So being short of breath is also a symptom of this?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you know how long this will likely affect me?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

Shortness of breath can be associated with bruised ribs.

And it should be treated.

And see your doctor again.

it would affect you a few days to weeks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks very much
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 12 days ago.

I wish you good health.
Kind Regards