Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

My wife, 70, was prescribed Butec patches for persistent

Customer Question

My wife, 70 , was prescribed Butec patches for persistent severe headaches.
JA: How long has your wife had the headaches? Has she used any medication for it?
Customer: she was taking 5mcgs for two weeks but only getting temporary relief . The doctor upped the dose to 10mcgs but this is causing extreme tiredness. The question is can she take the patch off. She still has one patch of 5mcgss left
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Has she used anything else for this?
Customer: Just paracetamol
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she is taking diazepam 2mg to combat her extreme anxiety. The doctor knew her history
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's gone on. If your wife is becoming so tired with the 10mcg patch I would definitely remove it and exchange it for the 5mcgs. It may take a day or so before the tiredness settles. I assume she's responding appropriately and not confused etc? (In that case I'd advise a more expedient appointment with the GP) otherwise you should speak with the GP about perhaps using the 5mcg patch alongside something else to aim for the middle where pain is controlled but with minimal or preferably no impact on her energy levels. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

You're very welcome indeed, come back if you've further questions. All the very best.