Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a pain in my lower back above my left buttuck

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a pain in my lower back above my left buttuck throbbing pain and worse now I’m on my period pain is pretty intense no other symptoms apart from pain felt twinges in that area for a month thought I was pregnant but no come and my period and pain has got worse the pain is the an egg size area of pain
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: once a month On time
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: ok how does this work sorry not tried this before
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

Do you have period pains most of the time?

Did the lower back pain start before the period pains?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I’m 38
This is different to period pain
Do it started a few weeks ago I thought it could be pregnancy as it felt like twinges in my back but not to painfall but noticeable then two days before my period the pain got worse i
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Pain is located in Top of the buttock
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Small area of pain but it’s like intense throbbing
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Whatever it is is worse because I’m on my period maybe my womb is pushing on something
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Should mention that a have quiet a week pelvic floor but been living with that
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Sorry I was offline for a bit.

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you

This is most likely an acute back pain due to muscle spasm. It is probably not related to the period pain. Such back pain may also be due to spinal disease. One way to distinguish muscle pain from spinal pain is that simple muscle pain is usually relieved by sitting or lying down after standing whereas spinal pain is aggravated by sitting for long periods, as in driving.

Back pain is one of the commonest diseases in humans. It may be caused by a wide variety of lesions, but is often quite harmless and relieved by simple measures.

The measures that you should take are:

Avoid stressing the back - avoid anything like lifting heavy objects, standing for long periods, bending forwards. For now give rest for 1 day. Lie mostly on the bed as far as possible for the day, but do gentle stretching exercises.

Warm compresses- warm compresses are often helpful. You can also go for deep warmth with ultrasound and lasers which can be given at physiotherapist clinics.

Massage: a hand held massager if available can work wonders.

Tab. Motrin 200 mg - take one tab. twice daily.

Lumbar belt: this is available at pharmacies. Use a soft lumbar belt specially when moving about.

Firm mattress: your mattress should not be too soft or too hard. Use a firm mattress.

Physiotherapy: do gentle exercises for the back - start gently on the bed itself as long as the pain is there, but once you recover you must continue doing these exercises so that they do not recur. Look up here for exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CMso14NWk

If the pain lasts for a long period, gets more severe or becomes recurrent, you have to show your doctor to rule out spinal causes.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi I really thought it was something internal as the twinges I had before inside feels like a pressure like something is pushing on something

No, there wouldnt be an internal pain in that region, so low. It would either be a muscle pain or a spinal lesion.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you :) I have booked to see osteopath .

Glad to help.