Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

On 11th May I had a very red middle toe on my right foot. It

Customer Question

On 11th May I had a very red middle toe on my right foot. It swelled up and then blistered and the skin came off and it was raw. I managed to see the nurse at our local practice and a doctor looked at it and put me on an antibiotic. This last few days it has started going pink again and just now it blistered and popped, so is raw again.
JA: When did the blister first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Just today, and my podiatrist suggested I put savlon on, but I didn't have this so used TCP. I am not taking any medication now for it, as I finished the antibiotic course within a week.
JA: The Dermatologist will be able to answer that. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: I don't recall seeing any dermatologist.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Not that I think is relevant, though yesterday and today I have had prickly heat rash over my exposed arms.
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's gone on with your tow. It sounds like you've had a cellulitis - infection of the skin on the toe, usually secondary to a small tear in the skin or between the toes. I think it's important to be seen again by the nurse that you saw recently as they can compare it to how it was when they first saw it and it sounds as though you might well need a few more days worth of antibiotics and so I'd suggest you try to be seen in the 24 hours or so. Using TCP in the meantime is a great idea and will help to a degree but ultimately you may need another 5-7 days of antibiotics. Otherwise I'd aim to keep it clean and dry. I hope that helps, all the very best.