Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Essential thrombocythemia, Yes. None. platelets count 859

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: essential thrombocythemia
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. None.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: platelets count 859
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have been diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythemia. Current platelets count is 859. I will have a biopsy done next week, Tuesday. I’ve been told that i will not be given any treatment because my platelets count is not “crazy high” enough. The reason I’m having the biopsy is to have more information in my bone marrow if something would change and my count would go “crazy high”, but I would be kept under observation with regular meetings. My next appointment to see them is at the end of July. My question is, are they washing their hands on me? I know the treatment is expensive as a foreigner, I wouldn’t be on top of NHS’s priorities. But, i have the feeling that this might be the case here.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
as a foreigner. The chat seems to be a bit buggy
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Male, 28 years old

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for

I am sorry to hear of this. With the NHS you are either entitled to treatment or they charge you. They certainly wouldn’t hold back on your status in the country. So I wouldn’t worry about this. Why do you think this if you don’t mind me asking?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
8220;We are not washing our hands on you” that’s what they said when we sat down and talked, last week, Thursday. And if i’d get to 1500 platelets count, they would look into it. Into giving me treatment or not (even then, if it would happen). But shouldn’t i get treated regardless?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What doctor would say to a patient that just got his cancer diagnosis, that treatment wouldn’t be given as it is not yet required due to not “crazy high” enough platelets count, and to not think that they are trying to wash their hands on him? It’s the use of those words that made me worry and think this might really happen.

I see. So this is due to it likely a long term chronic condition, one which requires monitoring and not treatment unless it does progress and cause symptoms, which is rare.

Often haematologists will discharge patients and allow this just to be monitored annually in primary care.

It is understandable for you to worry, I suspect this is more down to communication, but not a reflection of your care and management.