Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I think I have an abcess forming under my tooth and am in an

I think I have an abcess forming under my tooth and am in an increasing amount of pain. My dentist is closed and my doctor doesn't hand out prescriptions over the phone. I feel that I need some antibiotics, as I now have to wait until Monday to make an appointment with the dentist. Please advise
JA: Has the abscess been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?
Customer: First time issue
JA: Got it. What dosage of the antibiotics are you using? Any allergies to medications or other substances?
Customer: I'm not on antibiotics. The only medication I have taken today is Clarityn and one capsule of Paracetamol
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: Not to my knowledge

Hi, thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I'd advise you to start using warm saltwater rinses twice a day and use Corsodyl mouthwash (from any pharmacy) twice a day. At the same time you should visit your local walk-in centre which is usually attached to the A&E and staffed by out of hours GPs who can give you a prescription for antibiotics if needed too. Otherwise go ahead and also book the dentist appt. for Monday. I hope that helps and you feel better soon.