Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I am traveling abroad from the UK and have had steroid shots

Customer Question

I am traveling abroad from the UK and have had steroid shots for severe carpal tunnel syndrome. I have had my first Pfizer COVID vaccine and was wondering if I would be permitted to have the second vaccine three weeks later so that I will be fully immunized before my trip?
JA: When did you start using the steroid? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I had it 2 weeks before my first vaccine
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about carpal tunnel syndrome?
Customer: Of course, I am seeing a specialist but my question was about receiving the second vaccine to ensure my safety for travel
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for getting in touch. Just so I understand, you'd like to know if it's safe to have the second dose of vaccine given you've recently had steroids?

or

You had your first dose of vaccine 3 weeks ago and wonder if you can get the second one earlier than the usual 12 weeks? Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The second question.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also have circulation problems
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would prefer an online conversation. It is more convenient for me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Had the first dose 2 weeks ago

Sure, sorry the site offers calls automatically we can just type.

So as it stands the second dose has to be a minimum of 4 weeks after the first one. This is because that's how it was tested and that's the safety profile that we have information on. Are you travelling in the next two weeks?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That is different to Pfizer recommendations. But 4 weeks would be fine. How do I go about this?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Traveling end of June
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I get it earlier?

Really the only way would be to contact the place you got your first dose from and if you explain that you're about to travel they may allow you to have the second dose earlier than usual. It is at their discretion I'm afraid but they may well agree to give it earlier as you should be as protected as possible if travelling and in some cases they have allowed it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you the NHS was giving me an appointment 12 weeks later and I will not be back then

Sure thing, best of luck with it and have a good trip! Come back if you've further questions. All the very best again.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

anytime