Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

My mother is 95 years of age and constantly smells of urine

Customer Question

Hi my mother is 95 years of age and constantly smells of urine what can I do about this?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: She is on no medications
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: She has had several I
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she has had several UTI in the past but the smell seems to be getting stronger
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 19 days ago.

Hi, thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. Really there are two things that need consideration, one being incontinence of urine and this causing the smell and the second is whether there is a urinary infection present. It's worth getting a sample of urine tested for infection particularly if she's had them before and in this age group they can cause a lot of problems, are common and it can help to have a UTI treated earlier rather than later. You could also potentially look into getting some testing strips and keeping them for periodic tests to try and catch an infection early. Secondly incontinence of urine is very common in this age group and can be due to a few things like an over active bladder, bladder neck problems or prolapsed uterus for example. All of these can be tested for with an examination and there are treatment options that aren't too invasive for all of them. Finally if there is incontinence of course, looking at different types of absorbent pads may be helpful in the matter. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I think this is an incontinence problem, she does wear pads and disposible pants but the smell is awful and embarassing. I will be getting married in a few weeks time and I was wondering if there is any way/thing I can do to avoid any embarassment for us both?

oh congratulations! I think the only thing you could do is frequently change her pads and possibly even her outfit too at the time of the wedding.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok thanks

You're very welcome. Come back if you've further questions. All the very best for the future