Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've been taking a 75mg dispersible aspirin daily for

I've been taking a 75mg dispersible aspirin daily for several years after having two (right coronary artery) stents. For the same reason, I'm also on 2.5mg of bisoprolol daily. More recently (in 2020), I've been diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma. The bulk of the primary tumour was removed in 2020, and I've also had four 3-week cycles of chemotherapy. However, the cancer has recently returned (evidenced by 'increased nodular activity' at the original site). As part of the new treatment programme (which consists of immunotherapy) I would like to include curcumin (500mg or more daily), which I understand to be effective against mesothelioma. but am concerned that its blood-thinning properties could add to those of the dispersible aspirin. It occurs to me that it might be possible to replace the aspirin with the curcumin (?),
JA: How long have you been using aspirin? Has it helped at all?
Customer: Hello Pearl, and thank you for your response. I've been using aspirin and Bisoprolol since my first stent was installed in 2006. I was on blood pressure tablets as well (for the same reason) but am no longer taking them as my blood pressure has been fine without them for a few years now.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about mesothelioma?
Customer: Yes I have. The first sign of mesothelioma was fluid in the right lung, which was discovered via X-Ray along with the tumour itself. I was then referred to a well known hospital which specialises in the treatment of cancer.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I really can't think of anything that would be relevant.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes curcumin can add to the blood thinning property of aspirin.

Being said that, I have seen people taking both without any major bleeding in most cases.

You can continue both initially.